I was sorting through a stitching basket and discovered two projects that were stitched but the finishing was not done. The first was from a La D Da class. My notes say the class was at the Lebanon Cross Stitch Show (Mom and Me) in 2005 but I didn’t start stitching – or finish it – until 2006.
If you look closely the charted design did not match the picture. That always bothered me, but never enough to try recharting it myself. (Lazy!) When I found it in the basket, I debated ripping out some of the bird and re-stitching. In the end I filled in the empty spots with two over-one hearts and declared it to be DONE. The design is called Be True.
The class kit included the 32 count platinum Belfast linen, Needlepoint Silks, beads for the tassel and the large metal button. If I remember correctly, we made the cording and tassels during class. When finishing I discovered there was not enough cording to go around the project and make a loop for a hanger, so I opted for just the hanger.
The kit also included graph paper to chart your initials for the back of the design. After several miserable attempts I asked Lori for some advice and she charted my initials for me. Sweet!
I love how it turned out! If you ever get the chance to take a class with Lori, don’t hesitate. She’s awesome!
The second stitched but unfinished project in the basket was from a retreat at Stitcher’s Express in Mattoon, IL. The project is a Still Stitching with Susan Greening Davis design called Still Stitching by the Sea. I am still not sure why we were stitching a “sea” project at a retreat in IL, surrounded by corn and bean fields, but hey – why not? Susan was a fun teacher and brought lots of her other class projects for us to purchase.
I stitched the project during the Crazy January Challenge last year. (Proof!) This was my first attempt at ruching and overall it went well. I need to extend a BIG thank-you to Ilene and Kathy for finding the ribbon for me at Paducah and also to Nicki at Plush for her ruched ribbon tutorial.
I found just the right fabric in my quilting stash for the backing. I love how this turned out! The project was designed to be a large fob for sewing scissors but I think it will serve me well as a pincushion or just to display. The pretty ribbon really jazzes it up! On a sad note, Stitcher’s Express closed this summer; the owners retired. I wish them well but oh how I will miss their lovely shop and fun retreats!
That concludes the Finished portion of my post today. Now on to the Almost Finished portion!
This project is stitched but I still need to complete the finishing. It is Death by Candy Corn, a fun design by The Scarlett House. I am going to finish it into a pillow. The black fabric is the backing and the huge rick rack will go into the seam for decoration. All of the finishing materials are from my stash. Life is good!
About the stitching, this was a super fun project! I opted for 40 count 18th Century Brown fabric instead of the lighter fabric called for. The stitching is over-two for the words and “dots” and tent stitch for the candy corn. This will be a gift for a family member, so I need to get busy with the finishing!
In the Someday category I have several WIPs that I thought you’d like to see.
I am making slow progress on my work project, Home Sweet Home by La D Da. There hasn’t been much time to stitch during work this summer. I’m hoping for more stitching progress in the fall and winter months.
I am almost half way finished. I love, love, love how it is turning out!
This is E and E and F – Petite Exemplary #2. I am stitching all four of the Petite Exemplary designs in a column on 35 (could be 36!) count mystery linen from my stash.
The spider-web roses were a first for me. They are easy to stitch but I think I made a few too many rounds and they are a little messy. (Not so messy that they need to be restitched – heavens no!) I have the border for PE #3 ready to go. It’s nice to have these little projects to work on in between some of the bigger ones. The specialty stitches are extra fun!
Last but not least, this is Quaker Floral by Midnight Stitching. This project comes with an interesting story. Monique started this and gets all of the credit for choosing pretty evenweave fabric and gorgeous green floss, Olives from Carrie’s Creation.
Monique sold the project to Linda M. at a stitch in, and she enjoyed stitching it until she realized the alphabet did not include the letter “I.” This really bothered her so she sold the project to me! I am thrilled to have it, and love the fact that two stitching friend have worked on it.
That is all for now, I’m off to stitch and visit with friends at the potluck today at Mom and Me Forever. Can’t wait!